Accountability and Delegation
After completion of this chapter, the reader will be able to
• Define delegation.
• Discuss why professional nurses need to learn how to effectively delegate.
• Describe the principles of accountability applicable to effective delegation.
• Describe the four steps of the delegation process.
• Identify and describe the “five Rights of Delegation.
• Describe the correct process to ensure safe effective delegation.
• Identify common pitfalls and challenges that prevent effective delegation.
• Discuss tasks and responsibilities that RNs can and cannot delegate.
• Discuss the differences in accountability and delegation between leaders and managers.
Goncalves, S. A. (2019). Accountability and delegation. In A. M. Beauvais (Ed.), Leadership and management competence in nursing practice: Competencies, skills, decision-making (pp. 135-155). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
Leadership and management competence in nursing practice: Competencies, skills, decision-making
Place of Publication
Springer Publishing Company