Answering the Big Questions About Play
After reading this chapter, the reader will:
- Define play and describe its characteristics.
- Summarize theories of why children play.
- Compare and contrast play and playfulness.
- Recognize the universality and diversity of play.
- Identify the typical patterns of development of play and play preferences in humans.
- Apply this knowledge to practice.
9781284194661 (ebook); 9781284194654 (print)
Kuhaneck, H. M., & O'Brien, K. (2023). Answering the big questions about play. In H. M. Kuhaneck & S. L. Spitzer, S. L. (Eds.), Making play just right: Unleashing the power of play in occupational therapy (2nd ed., pp. 1-53). Jones & Bartlett Learning.